Friday, June 23, 2006

Takeaway from the weekend

This is something that happened quite a lot, but it took me a while to actually sink in. It happened again almost everyday during the weekend. I went to a lot of conferences and seminars the past weekend, its basically seminars on special needs children. So as we would've guessed there are a lot of teachers, parents, psychologist, therapist, etc. One great thing about events like this was that we get to expand our networking system. I get to make friends with psychologists, therapists and lots other people who can help me with my work later on.

So, each time people would just come up during break time and talk, exchange phone numbers , exchange business cards and so on for future references. One thing that everybody said to me when they approach me was 'Hai there, are you a parent?', then I said 'No, I'm not married yet, I'm a teacher/counsellor for kids with special needs'. Then the same ol' response I got was 'Really, oh you look so young, aduh muda-muda uda jadi guru, pasti kamu guru paling muda ya di tempat kerja kamu'. And then that would be the time when you see a forced smile on my face.

The whole thing got me thinking. Since almost all of the people I met gave me the same approach, I was sort of forced to think about it and come to a very very very disturbing statement.

Apparently, I'm too young to be working but I'm just at the right age to be a parent.


Seriously.. what kind of crap is that??

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it means that when you are a parent, you might understand more, which enable you to work better. how to teach a child when you haven't experience the birth, and all the fuzz for raising one?
they have a good point, but also i don't think that you are wrong. different matter calls for different approach, don't you agree..?

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger SyL said...

'how to teach a child when you haven't experience the birth, and all the fuzz for raising one?'

Well.. personally I think being a parent and a teacher gives the advantage of being more exposed to child-care resources, but that doesn't necessarily mean being a parent makes you a better teacher as you have the higher tendency of assuming things about the student based on their personal experience with their own child. However, I do believe that being a teacher makes you a better parent, in a sense that you are better prepared of what is coming your way. ;)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed

Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger SyL said...

Good!! Case solved then. ;)) *shake hands* with Mr/Ms Anonymous.

Saturday, July 01, 2006 5:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home